Spay the Mama Program
Spay the Mama Program: Helping Pet Owners with Unplanned Litters
Thank you for your interest in our Spay the Mama program! This program is designed to assist pet owners dealing with unplanned litters of kittens or puppies. To participate, pet owners agree to surrender the entire litter to the shelter and foster the animals in their homes until they are old enough to be spayed/neutered, typically around 8 weeks of age.
Program Participation Options
- Option 1:
- Start at any age.
- The shelter provides food, vaccines, deworming, and necessary medical treatment while the litter is in foster care.
- At 4 weeks old, the litter comes in for a vet check and their first vaccines. They receive check-ups and vaccines at 6 and 8 weeks of age.
- When the litter is old enough for adoption (usually at 8 weeks), the shelter will spay the mama and neuter dad at no charge.
- A $100 deposit is required for this option. This deposit is only charged if the participant doesn’t return the puppies/kittens to the shelter.
- Option 2:
- The participant takes care of the litter and parents until they reach 8 weeks of age.
- Surrender the entire litter to the shelter all at once.
- No deposit is required for this option, as the litter is surrendered for medical care and adoption services on the same day.
- The shelter will spay the mama and neuter dad.
- You must reside in Canyon County or the surrounding area. Program acceptance outside of Canyon County depends on resource and space availability.
- The litter must live indoors, be socialized, and maintained in a healthy condition.
- You must surrender the entire litter. However, if you decide to adopt one of the kittens or puppies later, you are welcome to do so. Adoption of puppies or kittens is only allowed after they have been spayed/neutered and vaccinated.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment or learn more about the program, please reach out to us via our Contact page by choosing the Foster Information option.
Please note: If you believe the Spay the Mama Program isn’t the right fit for your situation, the shelter has other programs available, and we’d be happy to discuss alternative options with you.