Adopt from Home
Adopt From Home Program
At West Valley Humane Society, we understand that the shelter environment may not always be the best fit for our beloved pets. The transition from a home where they are comfortable to a shelter can put stress on their health and behavior.
Our Adopt From Home program offers a unique solution. It allows pet owners or foster caregivers to find loving homes for their pets without having to drop them off at the shelter. This means your pet can find a new home while staying in their familiar, comfortable environment.
How Does the Program Work?
Here are the steps to participate in the Adopt From Home program:
- Vetting and Evaluation: To initiate the process, your pet must visit the shelter for a health check and evaluation. If your pet has any medical records, such as spay/neuter history or vaccination records, please bring them along or upload them to the Adopt from Home Application below.
- Foster Care: After the initial evaluation, pets will leave the shelter under your care or your foster caregiver’s care, serving as a foster home during the adoption process.
- For Altered Pets: For pets that are already spayed/neutered, our staff will evaluate their health and provide necessary vaccinations and parasite treatment. They will also set up an adoption profile for your pet on our website. When a suitable adopter is found, your pet can go to their new home from your place.
- For Unaltered Pets: If your pet is not spayed/neutered, we will evaluate their health, provide vaccinations, and spay/neuter them before they are adopted. They will then return to your home while waiting for a new forever home. Please note inherent Anesthetic Risk and Complications for any surgical procedures.
- Promotion: Your pet, while still at your home, will be promoted both by the shelter and by you. This collaborative effort increases the chances of finding a loving home. Check out our Adoptable Animal Marketing Guide for more helpful information.
Benefits of Adopting from Home
Adopting from home has several advantages:
- Less Stress: Pets are less stressed and have healthier immune systems, reducing the risk of communicable diseases.
- True Personalities: Pets can exhibit their true personalities, allowing for more accurate conversations with potential adopters
- Direct Communication: Caregivers have direct communication with potential adopters to ensure a good match.
As a caregiver or foster, you have certain responsibilities:
- Provide a personality write-up to help prospective adopters understand your pet.
- Share good pictures of your pet to present them in the best light.
- Offer your contact information on the adoption profile for potential adopters to reach out to you directly.
- Optionally, create a profile for your pet on AdoptAPet.com for additional promotion.
- Be available to visit the shelter with the adopter to finalize the adoption process.
Please note that the program may expose your pet to contagious diseases during visits to the shelter for required services. We request that you hold West Valley Humane Society harmless from any claims related to this exposure.
Once you’re approved to participate in the Adopt From Home program, our staff will inform you of the total deposit amount, which will be determined by initial intake fees and required services for your pet. During the application process, you will have the option to upload vaccination and medical records along with pictures of your pet. This deposit will be held until the successful completion of the Adopt From Home program.
Terms and Agreement
By participating in the Adopt From Home program, you agree to the terms and conditions of this program, including the surrender fee. You are still fully liable for all costs associated with the care and any damage caused by the pet while in your care.
If you encounter any issues, have questions, or need assistance, please contact us. We are here to help you every step of the way.
Join our Adopt From Home program and provide a safe and loving environment for your pet while they find their new forever home.